HTML is HyperText Markup Language which is used to structure the web page. But we can not apply styles to web pages with help of HTML. We can say that HTML is a base of web design as it involves the basic structure designing of any website. But learning essential concepts of this markup language is must and the right way to gain required skills is by joining HTML institutes in Rohini, Delhi where you can acquire professional level of training in HTML courses. To apply the styles to web pages a special stylesheet is available and that is CSS (Cascading Style Sheet). CSS provides many properties to apply different styles for paragraphs, images, divisions etc.
Display Property in CSS for HTML
Display is a good property for customization of the look of your content by changing fundamental architecture. As you all know that CSS is used to apply the different styles to the web pages. So, we can use many properties to give a different look to it. A property is used in CSS named ‘display’. It may have different values like none, block, inline, inline-block etc. Each value has a different style of representing the content. After CSS version 2.1, we have a new property named display which can contain many values. Display property provides a wide range of options to style our content. It is used to control the display behavior. This feature is compatible with Mozilla Firefox 3.0, Google Chrome 4.0, Safari 3.1, Opera 7.0, internet explorer 8.0. There are mainly four values of display property which are inline, block, flex and none.
Meaning of Some Important Values in CSS for HTML
You can use these main values with many combinations like inline-block, inline-flex etc. Let us see the what’s the meaning of these values.
- Inline: By using this value, you can insert the content in its left and right side. It does not require height and width.
- Block: Block is a value which does not allow us to insert the content in its left and right. It requires complete width of the browser.
- Flex: This value is used when we need flexibility in the content and requires that it behaves like a block.
- None: It is used when we want to hide the content and wants to free up the space. But it is not a part of any hidden property as it is very dissimilar from such properties.
Differences between Values of Display in CSS For HTML
|This is used to hide the content and free the space consumed by that content.||It is used when the content is not acceptable in its left and right. It covers complete width of the browsers.||It is used when we want to insert the content in its left or right.||It is used when we want content inline and also wants to specify its length and width. It means looks like inline and behaves like block.|
|Syntax for nonedisplay: none;||Syntax for blockdisplay: block;||Syntax for inlinedisplay: inline;||Syntax for inline-blockdisplay: inline-block;|
By making combinations of a few possible values of Display property, you can make many values according to your requirement.
- Inline: it displays the elements inline. It can tolerate the content before and after it.
- Block: it used to show the existing content as block. It can not tolerate the content before and after it. It takes the complete width of the browser like <p> tag.
- Flex: it facilitates us to use the flexibility to get a better look. It behaves like block level content.
- Grid: it is used to show the content in grid format. It also behaves like block-level container.
- Inline-block: this value provides us features of both of inline and block values. Text will be in inline form but you can specify its height and width.
- Inline-flex: this is the combination of inline and flex values. It provides flexibility with inline look of the content.
- Inline-grid: this value gives mix features of inline and grid values. It can tolerate the content in left and right but looks like a grid.
- Inline-table: it allows us to use the table format for content but behave like inline text, it means it accepts the content before and after it.
- List-item: it shows the content as list items like <li> tag.
- Run-in: this value can behave like inline and block both. It depends on the content written that what should it looks like block or inline.
- Table: as its name suggests that it display the content in the table format like <table> tag. We may use more different values to get the look in format of tables in different forms like table-caption, table-column-group, table-header-group, table-footer-group, table-row-group, table-cell, table-column, table-row.
None: this value is used to hide the content and free the space used by that content and still, that content exists in the file. It is different from hidden value because by using hidden memory is consumed still, by that content. Display is a good one property of CSS and many more new features are there in CSS and HTML. To learn more features of HTML and CSS in depth, join one of the reputed HTML institutes in Rohini i.e. ADMEC Multimedia Institute which offers live project training by web design and development experts. Read such more informative blogs on All HTML blogs.