3D computer graphics software is used to create computer-generated images through 3D modeling and 3D rendering or creates 3D work for scientific, engineering purposes and much more.
Choosing the right 3D modeling software is an often difficult decision because of various characteristics and the extensive range of properties available in these applications. To help you with making the right choice, we have compiled the list of 5 great new applications for 3D artists which can be used for both personal and professional modeling.
These 3D modeling applications allow for building and customizing models from the scratch for both beginners and an experienced professional.
1. Substance Painter 2.4
Substance Painter 2.4 is a 3D Painting application which provides advanced features and workflow improvements to create the creation of textures for 3D assets easier than before. It is recognized as the utmost advanced and user-friendly Texture Painter. This version includes the new features like Material Layering, improvements to shelf search, projection painting, new scripting capabilities and mask generators.
It is a 3D painting application which
- allows for texturing, render and share work
- speeding up texturing by use and reuse presets and integrated bakers
- backing for Linux, 8K export, UDIM management and Scripting API make integrating Substance Painter into VFX workflows.
- can perform filter, search and sort functions through assets by using a combination of folders, usages and keywords.
- For Students & educators: Free for 1 year
- For Universities/School: Licenses with discounted prices
- Paid subscriptions are available in versions: Indie, Pro and Enterprise License
2. Autodesk 3ds Max 2017
Autodesk 3ds Max is widely used 3D application by both professionals and students.3ds Max is ideal for someone who is interested in learning 3D, and wants to make it as a profession.
- Artists use this software to create different environment and characters in detail
- Works with majority of renders like V-ray,I-ray etc, to create high-end scenes and visuals for design visualization.
- Used by animation firms to create characters and scenes in games
- Easily compatible with Autodesk Revit, Inventor, Fusion 360.
- For Students & educators: Free for 3 years
- Free Trial: 1 month only
- Paid subscriptions are available for 1 year, 2 years and 3 years
3. SolidWorks 2017
It is a solid modeling computer-aided design (CAD) and computer-aided engineering (CAE) computer program which runs on Microsoft Windows. It is published by Dassault Systèmes. Some of the new features of SolidWorks 2017 are Improved Data management and collaboration, easy import of Import/Export 3MF and mesh data, automatic creation of schematic from a spreadsheet and much more.
- helps to produce 2D or 3D models without any difficulty.
- easy to use with simple graphics interface.
- provides better design visualization and faster design iterations with only a few number of errors.
- highly used in industries like Aerospace, Transportation, Construction, product design etc.
- amazing features like parts and assembling of products, animation & rendering in 3D, solid documentation.
1. Paid subscriptions are available in Commercial and Academia edition
4. Cinema 4D R18
Cinema 4D Release 18 provides powerful new tools to motion graphics artists, and makes VFX workflows available to everyone. Game and visualization professionals will enjoy new features like workflow, modeling, animation and shader enrichments which will help them raise to a new level.
- create advanced level 3D graphics
- the extra tools are still designed to be user-friendly and intuitive
- New Quaternions workflow
- New tools like Knife, Line Cut, Plane Cut, Loop/Path Cut and much more
- New behavior available for MoGraph distribution modes
- Free Trial Version: 42 days
- For Student/Teachers: Free for 18 months
- Paid subscriptions are available for 3 months and 6 months
5. Corel Painter 2017
If you like painting textures with a more natural or organic look Corel Painter 2017 is an excellent choice, which brings some great new features for the natural media painting world.
- new interactive gradient tool and amazing texture tool.
- great way to add surface details easily based on an underlying image
- works perfectly to add details.
- great for 2D professionals but even better for those using in their 3D workflows.
- Free Trial Version: 30 days
- Paid version is available
There are several factors to consider when choosing the best 3D animation software. Most software provides plenty of features in detail for professionals, while allowing room to grow for novices to 3D animation software.
Purchasing high-end 3D software is a major decision, so one should be careful. The best option is to first list down your requirements, check in which application are available, download the trial version from the official site, gets a hand on it and then decide which one to go for. Most 3D animation software packages share some basic modeling and animation features, but their specialized toolsets are often different and exclusive. Hope this blog has helped you in getting an insight about latest 3D applications and will be helpful in choosing the right software.