Blogging is one of the best ways to promote any business or make money online or make a portfolio. One doesn’t need to have to be a professional marketer and doesn’t need any special skills for blogging. This is the major reason many people are coming up with their own blog sites. Anyone who is willing to put some hard work and consistent in efforts can make money from blogging.
Blogs are available in two forms. Both of them have their own pros and cons:
- Free Blog Sites: Free blogging sites are free to use and one won’t have full control over the websites
- Self-hosted Blogs: These are self-hosted sites where one has to pay money for domain and hosting to run your sites and will have full control
For the starters, it would be best to use free blogs. The main reason would be the cost. Also, since an individual is starting with blogging career, it’s a great idea to get used to the blogging first and how to work on blogs. Once you get habitual to blogging and had working knowledge, one can move to a self-hosted blog.
What would be the address used in Free Blogging Sites?
Before start blogging, one should be giving top priority in choosing a good name for the sites. Getting a domain is also free when using free blogging platforms. Blogging websites will provide a sub-domain in the blog address. For example, if I choose cooking recipes as my sub-domain, then my URL on WordPress will be cookingrecipes.wordpress.com.The same thing applies when you create blogs with other free blogging platforms like blogger.com, tumblr.com and blog.com etc.
List of top 5 Free Blogging Platform
It is most user-friendly free blog sites to start a blog. It is owned by Google and was formerly known as BlogSpot.
- Recommended for basic, easy and simple blogging
- No setup is required, provides free hosting and sub-domain
- Security features enhanced by Google
- Money can be earned via Google AdSense.
- Availability of limited templates
- There are no options to upgrade in case site grows.
- No complete authority over your blogs and it can be suspended anytime.
- No availability of updates
WordPress.com is one of the most reliable and widely used free blogging platforms. It can be used for both blogging and creating portfolios.
- Provides free hosting and subdomain. No setup is required
- Easy to use, beginner-friendly
- Security checked by WordPress.com – Jetpack essential features
- Hundreds of free themes
- Cannot install themes or plugins that are not in WordPress official directory
- Monetize programs like google AdSense etc. can’t be added in the blogs, therefore cannot add ads and earn money
- No ownership and site can be suspended anytime if terms are violated
Tumblr is a micro blogging website like Twitter and Facebook. It is recommended for creating free blogs if the site is more about the visuals.
- Hundreds of themes available
- Anything can be post on the blog directly from the Email
- High-resolution images can be added
- Tracking of blog readers can be done through Google Analytics
- Updates can be published to Facebook and Twitter account
- Scheduling of blog posts and creating own theme is possible
- It’s a blogging platform so people can write anything, and anyone who sees it can respond to it
- Not ideal for professional portfolios
4. Live Journal
Live Journal is available in free and paid version. One needs to pay money if anybody wants to keep LiveJournal blog from their free advertising. Some of its features are multiple author blogs, polls and calendars, commenting and lot of additional social media features which makes it from other free blogging websites.
- Available in various languages German, French, Dutch etc.
- Bloggers are not restricted to provide their personal information and one can blog anonymously on this blogging platform
- Many Ads in free version
- Doesn’t provide professional templates
It is a popular free blogging platform and used by many individuals to create their free blogs because of its flexibility. They are currently hosting personal websites and blogs of around more than 12 million people.
- It offers both Weebly sub-domain or custom domain options
- Easy to use. One can drag and drop items to create menus, pages, categories etc.
- Migrating the content and redirecting your URLs will be a difficult process.
- Display of Weebly ads on free accounts
There are a lot of free blogging platforms are available. Choosing a free blogging site is not an easy task and trying them all at once is not feasible. So first know your blogging requirements, and choose your blogging platform accordingly.
For instance, in case you want to post more images than text or videos, Tumblr works really great. If you have small business, WordPress is the perfect choice as apart from giving full control over the sites, it will help you increase your website visibility in search engines. If you want to make money blogging, try Blogger.
Let us know the best free blogging site you would recommend to a newbie? It would be great if you could share your experience and your favorite from this list in the comments section.