Why User Experience is Important for Web Designer and Developer?
As our industry’s technologies and methodologies advances, websites and web applications have become increasingly more complex. What used to be a static medium has progressed into a very rich and interactive experience.
What is User Experience?
User experience (UX) is about how a person feels when interfacing with a system. The system can be a website, a web application or desktop software.
- User experience is how a person feels when interacting with a digital product.
- UX encompasses a lot of factors that are controllable by designers and developers. These factors include usability, accessibility, performance, design/aesthetics, utility and overall human interaction.
- It is the experience and connection which a user feels when using a site or product.
- Usability is a key component of overall user experience.
Why it is important?
In terms of design, user experience is just as important as visual identity. It doesn’t matter how your website or application looks like if people don’t know how to interact with it.
- It is important for certain types of digital products. For example: complex sites or applications, retail sites, small-budget projects and projects that are expected to last a long time.
- UX is important for complex sites because users must be able to navigate easily though the site and should understand how to use it effectively.
- Neglecting UX can result in a complicated site that users will not come back to. Developing a rich interaction based experience will result users return to a site.
- One of the most complex types of sites includes retail or online sales. This kind of sites needs to be well-organized to have clear and easy navigation to use how to make a secure purchase process. This is also true in case of websites that are around for long duration, like retail sites. For example Amazon has worked on same UX principle for years.
Five Benefits to Adding UX to Design
- Increased productivity,
- Increased sales,
- Reduced training and support costs,
- Reduced development time and costs,
- Reduced maintenance costs and increased customer satisfaction.
Some Good Examples of UI
5. Bakken & Baeck
User experience is not something you learn once. It is ever changing and involves a lot of trial and error with every new viewer you encounter. However, it is significant to understand that user experience is a part of everything a company does. Every action taken should have the user experience in mind and it all starts with the design.
Web designers and developers can offer user experience expertise and thinking in their design strategy is worth more to companies and are in higher demand.